Thursday, March 27, 2008

Blog # 4

We enshrine the self as the unit of ethical account, separate and distinct not just from the natural world but even from a sense of obligation to others--not just others in future generations, but increasingly even to others in the same generation."

Five things that I did today that made me feel obligated to another human, I’ll start with the abstract. First, I ought to be thankful to the people who have created the clothing that I’m wearing today, tomorrow and so forth. If I didn’t appreciate their skill and talent and I didn’t feel somewhat committed to acknowledging this fact
that they actually put effort into making my clothes. The material is good quality and comfortable, with a nice fit.

Second, when I got off the ferry this morning I went to McDonalds and there’s a man who’s always there to open and close the door for people and although I didn’t feel the action was necessary, I politely replied “Thank you!” … Well I didn’t want him to think that I’m rude. Was he really holding the door to be a gentleman? No, he wanted me to put some coins in the cup in his hand. We are all out for self (I’ll explain that later).

Third, yesterday I missed a business call and the message said to call them back when I received it. Since this is what they were expecting and I didn’t want them to perceive me as someone who lacks good follow-up skills, I felt obligated to return the call.

Forth, due to unavoidable circumstances, I was told that my son couldn’t return to school until he had a certain medical form filled by his doctor. The director of the school then told me that if I were to get a note stating that his appointment is coming up he could return. I felt obligated as a responsible mother to take care of that with a sense of urgency.

Lastly, While I was waiting in line to use the computer today. I would have much rathered walking up to any computer and doing what I need to do. Well I couldn’t do that because I must follow the rules.


So the question is: Why are we so “I” fascinated? I believe it is just the way we’re programmed to think. It is the animal inside of us the makes us think “Me”, “I”, “what I want”, “what I think” etc. It’s like we say “Me first and you later” in order for us to step out of this paradigm and way of thinking it takes time, self-training and alteration. But first before all this it takes place, one must realize this way of thinking and probe beneath the surface. The majority of us think of ourselves before we do others; it’s either done directly or indirectly, but it is always linked to ourselves one way or another, deep in the root of our true intensions.


I’m not trying to change your opinion on this. I am only aiming to open your mind to a new thought. Here is how it was presented to me. A few semesters ago I took Intro. to Philosophy and the professor said to us “Each and every one of you are selfish”. We all were confused thinking “what?!”. Then she explained that even when we claim to want to do something nice for someone, it also plays a part in what can we can out of it. We are always looking at every situation from all angles seeking hot to benefit. Let me give you a few examples of what I mean when I say this. Let’s say you see an elderly lady trying to cross the street by herself and you being the nice person that you are, rush over to help her. When you’re done you walk away feeling like “Well I did my good deed for the day!” Good right? Let’s probe a bit. Look at the word “I”. It’s like you only helped the woman to do a good deed.


You’re out shopping for yourself and you see a shirt that you know your new friend would like. You buy it. You may think to yourself “ Ill get this shirt so she will see that I am a sweet, generous, thoughtful friend.” you wanting to make a point to her. Or maybe you’ll say “Ill get the shirt because I think she looks nice in this color”. Again there’s that “I” word. No matter how you twist it and turn it, some way shape, or form it pops up.

I’m sure you get the point. Or at least I hope I did give you some interesting food for thought. When the professor taught us this I was like “WOW”!!! I found myself more aware of my true intentions and always probing to find ways not to crash into “I”. I did this for a long time until I came to the conclusion for self that it’s almost impossible and if I did find a way, I wasn’t being true to myself. With that being said, I’ll sign off with my signature “The Truth Hurts. Can you handle it?"

4 comments:

christina said...

there a guy that opens the door by the check cashing place by house but the difference with this one from the guy who open the door for you is if we dont give him change he curses you out lol

Fidel-T said...

For most of our history we did not even acknowledge morality. This is a rather recent mental construct. As animals we act according to what benefits us and to what satisfies our desires. However, we have something special, and that is the power to reason. We can overcome desires by choosing too; very hard thing to do though. But, selfishness should not stop us from saving the environment. In fact, saving the environment fulfills our self-centered desires. By caring for the environment we are ensuring our very own survival.

playablue said...

I thought about what you said about what is in us about putting me first and you know what we don't, we put family 1st. We need to start thinking of people as family and things will fall in place.

Jocelyn Perez said...

Wow, funny enough, we shared similar experiences and thoughts about the topic. I also commented on appreciating those who provided me with my clothing and also had an experience with a man opening up a door for me. I see we both have manners, and said "Thank you" too lolz
I recognize that,yes, we are programmed to have this sort of tunnelvision. "Me,me,me,me!"
Society has embedded these concepts into our minds since we were young and we are taught to be nice with an expectation of an reward. This reward can be literal like money, or a gift or abstract like a better sense of self. We aren't taught to just be nice because we want to be and not get anything out of it. There's always a competition of who is the better friend, who can buy the bigger gift and who get more kudos.
Its a sad fact. but a reality we encounter everyday.
Btw I didn't know you had a son!!!
Jocelyn =) see you in class