Saturday, March 15, 2008

Blog # 2

Annie says that, in the U.S., most of our leisure time is used to watch TV and shop. How much of your time (per week, say) do you spend watching TV? How much do you spend shopping? (Be honest!) And, for you internet junkies, let?s include another anti-social activity in this one: how much time (per week) do you spend surfing the web that you could spend with friends, family, being creative, being in nature, reading a book?
When you think about the leisure time activities which bring you the most joy and rejuvenation, what are they? Does your leisure time schedule match your priorities?
So how much time do I spend glued to the t.v. and/or shopping? That is the question. What is the answer? Lol. I will be as honest as possible. I’m not much of a t.v. person. The only times that I watch t.v are on Mondays from 9-10 and Wednesdays from 8-9. This two evenings are consistent. On these nights I must see these shows; Mondays I watch “girlfriends” and “The Game” and Tuesdays it’s “America’s Next Top Model”. Occasionally, if I am home and not doing anything, I may watch an episode of “All of us”. Mondays and Wednesdays are a MUST! I make sure that everything that needs to be done is done and taken care of. I don’t even engage in any conversation until a commercial is on. I have a saying that I use if I am interrupted, “I.T.C” This means invisible til’ commercial” YES, it is that serious!!! LOL. I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but when I am into something, I am just that. Into it and the people in my circle understand that. Thank god. So I would say overall, in a week I spend 2 ½- 2 hours watching t.v. Not bad huh? Actually that’s pretty good. I’m proud of it too!

Now as far as shopping, I don’t shop very often. But when I do, watch out! Sometimes I don’t know how to act. I tend to overspend, I have no sense of time, and I have a hard time making minor decisions. “Should I get the shirt in black or in white? I like the black, but I already have several black shirts. Maybe I should get the white. White looks good on me.” I’m a pain, right? Lol. No, I exaggerated a bit. I’m not that bad. When I do shop I leave early and I’m gone for about 4-5 hours. Due to this factor I usually go alone. I hate to be rushed so I eliminate the cause. The other scenario is that I will go shopping with someone who takes as long as I do and who’s opinion I very much value because of their style. I love shopping! What girl doesn’t? One of my shopping rules is “I don’t go with men”. They just seriously lack patience. Ladies, if you’ve ever been shopping with a man, you know exactly what I mean. They’re okay for a bit then as time goes and you ask their opinion, their response will be a lot like this: “Yeah, that one is nice. Uh-huh, I like that one too. Just get one so we can go!”). Am I making this up? No, not at all. It’s the truth and the truth hurts. (More so than others, but that’s a whole other story).
Also I am a woman who loves shop therapy. If I have a little extra cash and I’m feeling down, I’ll go buy something to put a smile on my face. Majority of the time it works for me. (This are one of the causes I over shop, but I’m getting better, I swear). To close this up, I can’t say that I spend hours a week shopping, but I will say for the weeks I go without it I definitely make up for allll of it!
These leisure activities don’t interfere with me spending time with family because I don’t overdue it. The good thing is…. What’s mentioned above about being creative and reading a book, those are also apart of my leisure activities. I’m knocking them all out with one stone. Being creative, I love to write poetry and I’m into fiction novels. I like novels that are relatable to situations people in my society deal with. It gives me a chance to sort of escape my stresses and problems and get into someone else’s drama, It gives me a break mentally. Sometimes I am able to make connections and come up with a solution to what ever I’m facing. Well thank you for reading my blog and I hoped you liked it. I will leave with my signature “The truth hurts… you asked 4 it? Handle it”

7 comments:

Doctor X said...

Shoot! I do not know all of the TV shows that you were talking about! Could you include some links to see what they are?

Jocelyn Perez said...

I have to say that I am similar to you in the sense that I can go weeks without shopping but when I actually need something or have extra cash I find myself wandering around for hours.I don't know if I am feeding into the negative stereotype that women are picky or what,but sometimes I even surprise myself. I also have to leave my apartment before midday or by the time I actually pick something out the stores will be closing. I have to go alone too, because then you have someone nagging behind you about how they have better things to be doing with their time lolz As for the television shows, every weekday 8-10 pm I am virtually unreachable unless you catch me during a commercial break. I don't pick up the phone, or if I happen to be expecting a call I can't help but sound distracted. I really don't watch t.v. at other times during the day, except in the mornings to check the weather reports or on weekends when I order movies. My soap opera time is my ME time. So I totally get your drift=)
Jocelyn =)"I.T.C" all the way!

Jan Michael Dionisio said...

A fellow writer, im impressed. =) It's nice to noe tv doesn't take over ur life. lol shopping therapy is always good, but it hurts the pocket when u buy something out of impulse.
TV is good for one thing---weather.. and even that isn't too reliable sometimes..thank you global warming..sigh.

That's cool u're into reading as a way of escape and safe-haven from the realities of life, and yet you solve reality with it. I hope you have heard of Mitch Alboum's books. i would reccommend that to neone who's a deep thinker and appreciative of life lol.

by the way, it's not the finite truth about all men wen they go shopping with women lol. some actually have an opinion that counts! haha.

playablue said...

I used to have a shopping impulse, but it has sense dies because of loss of funds. On the other side of thing I find myselfshopping on ebay quite often...

LovelyDiamond said...

Oh I know what you mean with shopping. If I have the money and I'm not sure what to buy, I'll get it all, and then when my mind is working right again I'll end up returning it. I also don't overdue my internet surfing or watching tv to not spend time with my family, anyways there always there when Im doing one or the other, I have a full house lol

playablue said...

Let me append to my earlier post, 1st I would like to say I.T.C.? GREAT idea!, talk about dedicated to only those shows not letting other shows get to you. My question would be how did you get that way?, only watching those shows and nothing else? I am just a bit curious.

christina said...

hi just stoping by to evaluate your blog. i like the content of your blog i enjoy reading it the only thing i could say you can improve you page is the spacing between your paragraph and you can add some excitment to your page with pictures, slide shows, or videos. And links....... :)