Saturday, April 12, 2008

Well let me see... reflection on this class so far, I would say that it has definitely opened my mind to things that I wasn’t aware of like the severe crisis of global warming. I never took a real look at how serious the issue was until I saw the Al Gore movie. It really had me in WOW!
Out of all the topics that were discussed, I really found the " The Story of Stuff" video very interesting. It’s crazy how much waste we all create without even realizing it. We as Americans are so obsessed with materials and having the latest that we must run out and make many purchases. It’s like we’re programmed to think "Out with the old and in with the New" and it’s incredibly sad. This video also expresses how we are very robotic in which we are spending too much time with things that shouldn’t matter as much as we allow it to. Such as t.v, shopping, and the internet.
Also I enjoyed doing the research on the Hindu relation. Most of all, I had the opportunity of visiting a very beautiful temple in Elmhurst, Queens. The woman that Jamie and I spoke to was very friendly, open and supportive. It was indeed a pleasure for her to allow us into her circle of living.
As far as the environment itself I have definitely been exposed to some things that have opened my eyes in a better light. For my own part, I plan to make efforts in helping the environment. I start off with the little things and as I become more knowledgeable I will try my best to increase my actions in going green. My only problem is that I’m about convenience. Going green takes a lot from this. For example, Not letting the water run too long while taking a shower. Most of the time I don’t but when I’m grooming myself I take a bit longer. Sometimes I take so long that the hot water starts to run out and then I’ll turn it off for about two minutes or hurry it up.

2 comments:

Jocelyn Perez said...

The Al Gore's film and text struck a cord with me as well. It left me scrambling, scared, and even questioning whether or not to start a family in this crazy world.

It's surreal what a few chunks of information can do to you, huh? =)

I completey understand what you mean about being shocked once you realize how much garbage you make. Hey, the garbage assignment of a day and a half, still has me spinning.

Changing the outlook on consumption and the material economy is gonna be a doozy,but I don't doubt it can be done.

I really think the collective can make a difference. This class has showed us the way to get the word out, and to become aware of those trying to reach us.
Jocelyn =)See you (Feel better)

playablue said...

Bout' the shower?

do you ever just "Tidy Up" or "Bird Bath"?

just hit the important stuff.....lol