Monday, May 26, 2008

While reading the "Green Book" I kind of became interested in the topic a bit. The way the book breaks the information down. It is very clear; straight forward; black and white.

So let's see... If I can pick 5 things that I would change or make an effort to practice in order to help the environment, I would say... One. I could adjust my thermostat. This would be easy for me because it is very minor chance that will help the earth and it will also help me save money in my pocket.

Two. Using water filters. I think this is a very good idea to make a change because I will be using less plastic and again it will enable mme to save a little more money.

Three. Putting a stopper in the drain before running the water. I never thought about how much water gets wasted for those few long seconds or minutes. 3-5 gallons of water per minute,; that's alot of water so quickly.

Four. Using fluoresent light bulbs, which will increase the energy effiency. By doing this, I will be eliminating green gases into the air. In time this will create a more cleaner air.

Lastly, five, being mindful of how long we are searching for something in the fridge. I already do this. I have a small habit of when I am very bored, find that I open the fridge a lot!

There were a few suggestions that had me a bit boggled. One was the microwave. The book says to microwave all your food. i don't see how that's possible when we have been taught not to use microwave mostly to cook food because it sends off raidiation into the food, which can be harmful.

Secondly, not using a shower curtain. This will be totally inconvenient for people which will result in ahving a very small chance of people making an effort with this one. I wouldn't want to try this one because If I used no shower curtain, The floor would most likely get wet and honestly, I wouldn't want to mop everytime I take a shower.

Well overall, I think I just may continue to read this book a bit.

3 comments:

Doctor X said...

I going to try to find alternatives to that shower curtain this summer. Anyway, it bums me out that they get all moldy no matter how much I air them or clean them

*Ms. Nisha* said...

yes, I feel your pain Dr. X about the curtains getting moldy. IT SUCKS! Good luck with finding an alternative

Marie said...

Yeah, Nisha i don't think i can go without the shower curtain either, because sometime you are late for school, and to stop and map the floor is really hard, because it's more delal, when there is something that can prevent you from wasting time. Eventhough saving time is what is putting us in this position of global warming because we want everything to be easy. I also don't the idea of cooking the microwave.